This large 100m2 hand-painted mural is in two sections (either side of the roller-door).
The right section depicts the Lord Palmerston Hotel and J. Harden Confectionery building at the exact location where it was originally, on the corner of Lucas and Main Streets. Around 1900 the building became Kapunda’s Coffee Palace and later a car service garage. The building was demolished in 1968 making way for the current structure.
The left of this section depicts an 1871 photograph of store owner Robert Brewster (holding the horse) and his family. (Brewster’s Store was located on the corner of Main and Tod Streets). The right side of this section depicts a Kapunda family in a car, about 1910.
To the left of the roller door is a depiction of the working Kapunda Copper Mine, Australia’s first commercially successful copper mine established in 1844. This scene was recreated using references from old photographs and paintings by colonial artists, George Fife Angas and S.T. Gill.
On the extreme left of the mural are portraits of several founding identities; Dr. Blood, Captain Charles Bagot, Francis Dutton and William Oldham.
This mural won GOLD in the 2020 Australian Street Art Awards for ‘Best External Street Art’.